Saturday, June 1, 2013

New Blog Awesomeness!

I have a friend who is always asking me what I'm reading. I have a sister that depends on me solely for borrowing books that I've read. I'm a reader, a book nerd, a book nazi. I've been called it all. I love to read! I will read just about anything (as you will probably see with my list). My favorite books are controversial ones. Books that people read, and are sometimes offended by or just becomes really popular and becomes national news. I love forming my own opinions on them! Now, my friend asked me to make a top 10 summer reading list. I told her I wouldn't even know where to start, but I figured I would give it a try. I'm not going to post long winded things about the plots, just give you a basic premise of the stories. Yes, I realize that some of these are series so it's actually more then ten books, but its my blog and I'll do what I wanna. Happy reading!

My Top Ten Summer 2013 Book List:

#1 The Love Me with Lies Series by Tarryn Fisher- My favorite books, and favorite author...Now I know that its an unfinished series, but totally worth the read. The first one will severely mess with your head, and the second one will leave you angry. I'm eagerly awaiting the third book in the series. The series starts with The Opportunist, where we meet Olivia Kaspen who sees an old boyfriend that she is still in love with and finds out hes got amnesia. The second book in the series is Dirty Red, where we get to (unfortunately) get in depth with said old boyfriends wife, Leah Smith.

#2 The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning- This series has about 5 books. This is an awesome series and its about....fairies. I know what you're probably thinking "Faries? Seriously?!" because thats what I was thinking. It's set in present time Ireland, and the Fae and humans coexist. In the Fever series, the worlds collide and the end of the world as we know it is upon us. Awesome series, though not for the faint of heart. If it were a movie (which supposedly, it will be), I would rate it MA, I'm a pretty conservative person so do with that what you will. Excellent writing style by Ms. Moning!

#3 True Love Story by Willow Aster- Great debut from this author! I will definitely read anything else this author puts out. In this story, we meet Sparrow Fisher who meets a musician named Ian Sterling. They obviously lead different lives, but when they are together, sparks fly! Its got the highs and lows of The Opportunist, but its got its own storyline that will keep you hooked! Best of all, its not a series (that I know of)! so if you're looking for a quick read, without having to buy another book to see what happens, here it is!

#4 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- Another stand alone book that will keep you hooked (after about halfway through anyway). The story begins with a man who on his fifth wedding anniversary, discovers his wife has disappeared. The police suspect him of murder, but I will not spoil the end for you. Love this book, although it's not for everyone. It does start off pretty slow, but by the time you get to about the middle, when all the action starts, if you are not into it, you probably never will be.

#5 Unwind by Neal Shusterman- Unwind was a book that stayed with me for a long time. I could not stop thinking about it. If Hunger Games disturbed or offended you, do not read this book. This dystopian novel came out in 2009, before dystopian books were all the rage. Shusterman is an incredible writer, and really makes you think. In this book, we are in America after the Second Civil War where the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life armies come to an agreement that abortions are illegal, but a parent may choose to "unwind" their child from the ages of thirteen to eighteen. I will not go into what this involves, so I don't offend anyone. Although there are disturbing parts, and the premise is disturbing, this was an excellent book that is apparently going to be made into a movie. I can't wait to see what they are going to do with that. If by some chance, you are to go on Amazon and see that this book is supposed to be for grades 7 and up, read it first before you let someone that young read it. Personally, I wouldn't let my son read it until he was in college and I didn't have a choice anymore. Unwind also is a trilogy and the second book, Unwholly, came out not too long ago. The reason why I didn't really put it in this list is because I felt the second book didn't do it justice. Shusterman still has the same great writing style, but I'm not really eagerly waiting on the third book based on the second book.

#6 The Breathing Series by Rebecca Donovan- This series follows a high schooler named Emma, who has had a really rough life. In the beginning, she is living with a family member who is abusive. This series is intense and it's about something near and dear to my heart. Also not for the faint of heart. It really is a good read though and will have you hooked from the start. The third and last book in this series is out July 2nd, which I can't wait for. I'm hoping Emma will get her HEA!

#7 Avoiding Commitment by K.A. Linde- This story follows Jack and Lexi who have a crazy relationship. He's afraid to commit and 2 years after they seperate, he calls her and asks her to convince his new girlfriend that he's ready to commit. Again, a lot of angst like The Opportunist and will stick with you for a little while. It also has a second book, Avoiding Responsibility that I felt, again, didn't live up to the first book.

#8 The Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver- Great series (until the end), great author. Another dystopian series. In this series, young people are forced to be "cured" of love. The people believe it is a disease that makes people not think correctly. The last book ended very abruptly, with a lot of questions not answered. The first book could be read by itself if you don't mind ending on a cliffhanger.

#9 The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom- Good stand alone book! Set back in the days of slavery. If you enjoyed The Help, you will enjoy this one!

#10 The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth- Soon to be made into a movie, this dystopian series is addictive. Chicago is divided into factions and each faction lives and works together. The main character, Beatrice finds out she is divergent, which means she can fit into different types of factions. Great series. The last book in the series won't come out until Fall, but I'm willing to bet it will be a good one...Cannot wait for the movie!!!!!

So that is my summer list. Please feel free to comment any other books that should be on the list!

No comments: